Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rainbow Party 2011!

Rainbow Party 2011 went down on Saturday, April 2nd...and the kids had a BLAST!  As I mentioned in a previous post, Lili would NOT stop talking about her 'Rainbow Party Birthday Party'...which was NOT her birthday party.  Try telling THAT to a 3 yr old. 
The party was scheduled to start at 11:00am, but Lindsey's Mom dropped her off early so that she could get some things done at work.  These 3 monkeys have always acted like siblings...loving each other and then hating each other...hugging each other and then hitting each other...
Once all 17 kids and 9 (I think?) Moms arrived, we dug into the food.  We had a rainbow fruit tray, rainbow color fixings for make-your-own salad, hot chicken salad (didn't know how to make this rainbow colored), Rainbow Goldfish crackers, pretzels, chips, etc.  After wrapping up lunch, we set up different tables with different activities. 

Fruit loop necklaces were a big hit!
Will kept going back to the table and to the big, giant bowl of Fruit Loops...even after most everyone had left.  I'm pretty sure he ate at least half a box that day.  We were thankful to have Victoria, Mckennah's Mom, there to help entertain him!
At another table we had the kids use pretzels and marshmallows to make sculptures.  Of course my son just wanted to EAT the 'marshapillows'...
...and Miss. Chloe joined him... 
...and Mr. Nick WANTED to have a marshmallow, but he was just a tad bit sleepy...
At first I thought the kids were curious enough to actually get into the activity and make something.
It wasn't until later though that I realized the only one who made anything was Koralyn.  Good job Koralyn!
Our 3rd and final 'creation station' was the art table.  We had paint dobbers...stickers...markers...foam paper...glue sticks...pompoms...etc.  The kids were free to make anything they wanted and they had fun doing it!
Once all of the kids had an opportunity to experience each station, it was time to decorate cupcakes.  I have to say, this was deifinitely my favorite part!  I LOVE cutting into the cupcakes and seeing the unique tie-dyed designs!!  It looks impressive, but if people only knew how I made them, they wouldn't necessarily think that anymore!
I frosted a few of the extra cupcakes for shits and giggles and this is what I came up with.  Not my best work, but hey...I was running out of time!
Will did a great job getting his cupcake slathered in frosting and then covered in M&Ms, but after eating 1 M&M off the top, he was 'done'.

Lili did a much better job on her cupcake...eating it, that is...but even she had to quit about halfway through.  Too much sugar I guess! 
Overall I thought the party was very successful, but I will definitely be taking it into consideration when we buy our next house!  More storage for Rainbow Party supplies...larger rooms to accommodate huge tables for Rainbow Party guests...  I can only imagine what Drew will think when I am arguing for these things!

No comments: