Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Bit Of Randomness

I have been horrible about keeping my blog updated.  SO much has happened over the past few months, but updates seem to only be made on Facebook.  It's faster and easier since I can access it via my iphone.  I have threatened myself that I'm going to ban Facebook so that I am forced to blog instead...but of course my threats mean nothing.  It's kind of like when I threaten my kids...  IF YOU DON'T LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW I'M GOING TO SEND THE EASTER BUNNY AWAY WHEN HE TRIES TO DROP OFF TREATS!!  Ummm yeah, we all know the Easter Bunny is still going to find his way here and that I will not be sending him away.  I need to start threatening the stuff I will truly follow through on, but of course my list is very short...

Recently work made me move cubes.  They wanted me to have a window seat.  Nice, huh?  Well, considering I'm in the office MAYBE 2 days a week, it kinda seemed like a big fat waste to me.  Why not give the cube to someone who has to be in this dungeon every day?  I soon discovered why I was put here...because no one else wanted it...because who would want to sit next to a group of people who yell over their cube walls all day long?  Who would want to be subjected to LOUD conversations involving porn stars, egg salad, baby gifts and vet visits?  Don't get me wrong...I love a good non-work conversation occasionally too, but when I want to partake in one, I get my fat ass up off my chair and go find someone to yap at.  I don't broadcast all of my yappings throughout half of the office. 

Let's see...what kind of news do I have to share.......  Oh, Lili moved from the Orange Room (Preschool 2) to the Red Room (Preschool 3) about a month and a half ago.  She was excited because she barely made the cutoff, so she got to move up with a large group of kids, including her BFF Mckennah.  I'm pretty sure she would have had a heart attack if she couldn't be with Mckennah anymore.  Those two are joined at the hip.  While Lili made that move, Will was moved into the Blue Room, which is the 1st Preschool room.  Technically he should not have moved for another couple of months, but as we all know, there were some behavioral issues causing a ruckus in the toddler room.  I honestly don't know what his deal was in there...and nothing I said and nothing the teachers did seemed to stop the naughtiness.  We had some mild improvement right around X-mas, but then he started up again with a vengeance and it was bad ever since.  Finally I think everyone had had enough and the decision was made to put in a variance and move him up early.  We were all hoping that he was bored and needed some challenges.  His toddler teachers did say he was the only kid in his class who knew all his colors and could count past 10 and seemed to comprehend so much more.  He's been in Pre 1 for a month now and so far, things have been great!  His new teacher, Miss. Aimee said he has his moments...but overall he's doing very well and seems happy to be there.  She also said that even when he is acting up, she's not seeing anything alarming or abnormal in his behavior.  Whew!  My only fear now is that once the newness of Pre 1 wears off, that he will go back to being a hooligan.  Fingers crossed that that doesn't happen! 

Last week I went with Lili's BFF Mckennah's Mom, Victoria, to tour the St. Michael Catholic School.  I've been freaking out a bit because Lili will start kindergarten in the fall of 2012 and there will be over 500 kids at that grade level!!  They have an entire school dedicated to kindergarten and although they split up after that and go to different grade schools, it's hard to imagine Lili getting lost in a sea of kids.  Yes, I'm sure she would manage and do well, but as a parent...it's slightly disturbing.  I'm also worried about the class sizes in general in the public schools.  I want Lili to know the other kids in her grade level...not just those in her classroom.  I also want her to be with some of her friends as they move up through each grade.  Having 100+ other kids at her level just doesn't feel very.........'comfy' to me, as a parent.  In addition to all of that, I would really like my kids to get some exposure to religion.  If for nothing else than to familiarize them with Bible stories for the purpose of teaching them right and wrong...good and bad.  Since we don't go to church and I'm not sure we will ever be the family that goes every Sunday, it makes it difficult to do this on our own.  Having the school taking the lead on educating them in these areas would be really awesome!  Anyway, back to the tour...it was great and I think we've decided this is where they will both be going!  I loved everything about it and I love how much personal attention the kids get with being in smaller classroom settings.  They are also starting a before and after school program and will be keeping their numbers reasonable for that too (another concern of mine with the public before/after school program)!  I figure we ALL need to be comfortable with the decision of where to send the kids for school.  I know both my kids would probably do great at public or private schools...but as their Mom, I want to feel ok about it as well.  If there are things already making me nervous about certain situations, I'm guessing I better look at other options...and in this case, we did!  Now we just need to get everyone registered! 
This past weekend I went to Cleveland to hang with my 'sistas'...my blood sista, Kristen...and my shoulda been blood sista, Christine.  We spent 3 full days scrappin', eating, chatting and getting hooked on Glee.  I really didn't know why people were making such a fuss about Glee, but admittedly...I LOVED it.  We got through almost the entire first season, so now I need to get caught up on the rest.  I got 32 pages done on my scrappin', which is decent...though I was hoping for more.  As for my diet, I'm proud to say my sistas helped me stay on plan the WHOLE time......well, except for the custard we stopped for on Friday night.  We all had a hankering for ice cream, so Kristen introduced us to East Coast Custard.  I figured since I've done so well for so long, one little treat was warranted, right?  Yeah, it was the best damn custard I've ever eaten...and I enjoyed every bite...which is good because I only lost 1 lb and 2.75 inches this week.  This is smallest weight loss I've had since I started, but I was also informed that my one cheat, was with the WORST possible thing you could cheat with on this diet.  As I've been telling my friends, I NEVER do ANYTHING half-assed!  My grand total now is 27.5 lbs and 27.5 inches.  Isn't it weird how the inches sort of 'match up' with the lbs?  Apparently that's how this sort of works!

No comments: