Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Friday, November 5, 2010

The Schlachter Gap

In case you haven't noticed, I have gaps in my front teeth. They aren't 'huge', but definitely noticeable. My teeth are straight and I even had braces when I was younger, but the gaps could never eliminated. For awhile after the braces they were better, but then over time they started moving again. Basically, as my dentist tells me, I just have little teeth. The part that he sort of left out...or at least explained a little nicer than how I heard it in my head...is that my mouth is too big (shocking) and my teeth are too small...so there's a lot of extra space on my gums for the teeth to separate. Their suggestion for a 'permanent' fix to this is to get veneers. They said I could try braces again, or a retainer, but most likely my teeth would again separate over time. So I ask for some information on the veneers, as well as an estimate on what it would cost. HOLY MOLY DENTAL WORK IS EXPENSIVE! I always kind of knew this...especially with some of the issues that my poor husband has had over the years, but seriously. $856 per TOOTH and they are suggesting that my top 4 teeth be done. This brings me to a grand total of $3424. The part that sucks about this is that it's cosmetic and therefore insurance doesn't cover any of it. I know this is a self esteem issue rather than a physical ailment that needs to be cured, but it's still important to me and I would love to do it. I could at least then check off one of the many things on my list to improve about myself. Something that I recently noticed, that I probably should have noticed sooner, is just how many people in my family have this same gap! I always knew my Mom had it...in fact we have almost identical teeth. I also discovered that my Uncle, my Mom's brother...and my Grandma, my Mom's Mom, have it too! I think this will just have to be named, the Schlachter Gap!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Seriously?!?! Don't you recall the gap I had???? I had it the worst so there's no way you could ever feel as self conscious about your little gap as I used to about my major one. Thank God for bonding!

Jenny and Jon said...

I know I have different genes than you guys, but Kristen has got to remember the gap I had! I had enough room for a whole nother tooth, so bad that I had braces from 7th grade-10th grade, and I've had to wear a retainer each and every night of my life since the braces came off to maintain gap free teeth! Recently my dog ate my retainer. I went a few weeks without it, all sorts of gaps started showing up and now I am just completing a series of three retainers via invisalign with an orthodontis here to fix the problem! I should have been an orthodonist I've been through so much with my teeth...the price for the invisalgin was nearly 3k, but it is worth it to me.