Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Moxie

This is why I love Moxie: http://www.askmoxie.org/2006/04/qa_18month_slee.html She talks about issues that I actually find myself experiencing as a Mom...she provides encouragement...tells 'me' that I'm not crazy...tells 'me' I'm still a good Mom and it's not 'my' fault...and so many of her cult members describe scenarios that are SO similar to my own. I can't really say that I've ever found a single book that really seemed to fit my kids personalities and some of the phases that I've gone through with them. Although Moxie doesn't necessarily claim to provide 'solutions' to these problems, the most invaluable thing that I have gained from her site is her continuous reminder that I am not alone. There are other Moms experiencing the same things I am experiencing...even though I may not know them... HA! Don't get me wrong, all parents go through phases with their children, but mine have never been very 'textbook'...and as someone who NEEDS and WANTS step by step instructions, that has been very frustrating for me! Today I've been reading Moxie due to Will's recent transition into crazyhood and his new perspective on sleep, which is that it's not 'necessary' for him. I think otherwise. Especially when you can tell that some of his feistiness and some of the meltdowns are due to being overtired. Moxie talks a lot about sleep regressions that parents go through with their children during the first few years of life and it ALWAYS makes me feel better to go back and review what she has to say. Even though I appreciate when family and friends tell me that things will get better and this phase won't last forever, it's somehow more comforting to hear it from a stranger. Maybe because I'm always afraid that my friends and family are saying 'You'll get through this...it's just a phase...it won't last forever...' on the phone...then hanging up and thinking to themselves, 'OMG, that girl is screwed!! She is NEVER going to survive parenthood!'. Let's just hope I'm overreacting and that people really don't think that! =-)

No comments: