Family life is a bit like a runny peach pie - not perfect but who's complaining? ~Robert Brault

Monday, April 19, 2010

Two Little Monkeys...Growing Up FAST!

Despite the screaming from Will, we've still been getting lots of laughs out of our little monkeys!

The newest word in Lili's vocabulary is 'disgustin'...no, there isn't a 'g' on the end...it's just 'disgustin'. She uses it in perfect context and it has now replaced all of the other adjectives she used to exercise. There are some pretty disgusting things that she does herself though and yet doesn't seem to realize they fit that description. For instance the booger she picked from her nose and handed to her friend...who then handed it to her Mom (not me, her friend's Mom). So this lovely booger was passed around as if it was no big deal and 'disgusting' was never used to describe it. I think we need to work on that.

I learned something new about Lili on Saturday...something I was pretty excited to see. We were at the park for a birthday party and I was sort of following her around. Most of the other kids were quite a bit older than her and the playground is huge, so I just wanted to keep an eye on her. We tried out lots of different things...swings, slides, balance beams, monkey bars, etc. There was one activity with a series of poles and steps that wiggled around and you had to walk across all of them. For some reason Lili REALLY wanted to try these out, but I noticed, as with a lot of things, she continually wanted me to help her. Even if it was just to hold her hand while she got from one wiggly step to another. We went back and forth across these steps probably 10 times and even though I encouraged her to do it on her own, she would always ask for my help and I would eventually cave. At one point I walked over to where the rest of the adults were and would periodically look over to see how Lili was doing. After just a few minutes of being without Mom, she was walking across the wiggly steps all by herself! When she realized I was watching her she gave the biggest grin and yelled, 'I do it all by myself!'. It was so great to see her trying it on her own, not giving up and building her confidence! I guess I just need to leave her alone more often!

Little Man is talking up a storm! Not everything he says makes sense, but he sure is trying! Words/phrases in his current vocabulary?

No
No, Mommy (he says this to make sure I know he's talking to me!)
Sissy (meaning his sister)
Ball
Gummy (used for both gummy vitamins and fruit snacks)
Uh-oh
Yes
Cheese!
Daddy
Ca-ca (cracker)
Bopple (apple...but also uses this to refer to any type of fruit)
Dude
Blankie
Car

He also throws in a whole bunch of gobble-dee-gook, which he believes is valid communication. When we don't 'listen', or misinterpret what he is saying, all hell breaks loose!

Let's see...what else are these monkeys up to....... Lili learned how to pedal her tricycle and catch a ball! These were big achievements and very exciting to witness! Dooder is learning how to feed himself. He absolutely INSISTS that we give him the spoon and not try to help him. It usually involves a big ol' mess in the end, but hey...if he wants to try......... The funny thing is that he's been using his left hand a lot. We've already figured out that Lili is a lefty, so Drew is praying that Will doesn't go that route too. If he does, that would make Drew the only righty in the house!

Quick update on 'transitions' before I go... Lili finally moved to her big girl bed and is doing pretty well. She usually goes down without a fight, but if she wakes up in the middle of the night she sometimes gets scared and wants to come to our bed. I honestly don't mind...it's extra snuggle time with my baby girl who I don't get to see much during the week! Will is now 100% off of bottles. Man that sucked, but he's done...whew! Next up? Potty training and NUK fairy visit for Lili. I am NOT looking forward to either one of those!

1 comment:

Jenny and Jon said...

We are trying to master pedaling the tricycle here, losing the paci, and starting to think about potty training in our household too! I wish we lived close to each other (ok I wish you lived in Florida, I have no desire to live in Minnesota, too cold for me) Will and Jackson would tear it up and Lily would keep them in line!!