After accepting the contract position I thought for sure I would have a WTF-was-I-thinking moment. I didn't know when it would hit, but I figured within a few days of giving my notice I would be a wreck. Well, that moment never came...until Thursday. Day 4 at the new job proved to be quite a challenge for me. That was the day that I was suddenly hit with a crap-ton of shit to do...deadlines flying left and right...and the kicker of it all? I knew nothing about what they wanted. Sure, I've been working with the application for the last 12 years and yes, I had been doing data migrations for 7 of those years...but I was coming into the MIDDLE of a project. I didn't know anyone...I was clueless about the decisions that had been made up until that point...and somehow I was supposed to put two and two together and come up with some kick-ass solution. Ummm...no. Not happening. So, needless to say, I had a bit of a breakdown that day. I missed my old coworkers, I missed knowing exactly what I needed to do every single day, I missed the COMFORT of doing migrations for a company I had been with for over a decade. Despite the excitement of trying something new and different, I felt completely lost.
On Day 5, Friday...things were a little better. I was still freaking out inside, but I woke up that morning and miraculously came up with a plan to tackle some of the project tasks which made me feel pretty good about things. Was I confident in what I was doing? Hell no...but at least I had thought things through and felt that I was headed in the right directon. Before I went home that night I received an email from my new boss. I actually report to someone else, but she and I ultimately report to this woman. Anyway, she wanted to let me know that I had a great first week and she was really looking forward to working with me more. I swear she must have had ESP and somehow knew that I was tiptoeing on the edge... It's like she knew exactly what I needed to hear. However she figured that out, it doesn't matter...she made me feel better!
Tomorrow I head out for my 1st trip to Rochester, NY. I'm excited to meet some of the people that I'll be working closely with and to see my old boss, who is now sort of my new boss, who I've only seen in person one time since I started working for her over 3 years ago! My fingers are crossed that it will be a good week!
Royal Mickey & Minnie Birthday Party
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment