This morning I gave Lili her first complex. My Mommy guilt is at an all-time HIGH right now...and it SUCKS. The story goes something like this...
Lili's best friend gave her an ADORABLE sweater dress and matching leggings from Gymboree for X-mas. They are super cute and we both love them! I decided today was the day she could wear them to school. After helping her to get dressed, I took a look at her and a giggle escaped. The dress was a little too big and she was looking at me with her big brown eyes...and she just looked so cute.
I knew when she asked her next question that I should have thought it through before responding. 'Why are you laughing Mommy?'... 'Well, the dress is a little big and it looks a little goofy!' At that point she smiled and laughed too, making me believe that I wasn't TOTALLY the worst Mom in the world. I asked if she still wanted to wear it and she said she did. The dress wasn't going to fall off of her...it just needed some alterations to fit her a little better. Besides, we certainly don't go to daycare to win any fashion awards...
After getting her shoes and socks on I gave her a hug and kiss and told her she looked beautiful. Yeah, the dress was a little big at the shoulders and a little long for her short torso...but she was still my adorable Lili. I think she can make ANYTHING look cute, though I might be somewhat biased!
We got to school awhile later and I 'thought' everything that had happened at home with the dress had been forgotten...until she suddenly started acting shy and hanging back. I asked what was wrong and she said, 'My friends won't like this.'...and pointed at her dress. At that moment I seriously wanted to stone myself. What the HELL was I thinking this morning?!?! As we all know, there isn't much I won't say and while I try to avoid hurting other people's feelings, sometimes my words unintentionally do so. I have never used the word 'goofy' in a mean way...but I often use it in place of 'silly'.........and when you're referring to clothing choices I guess neither goofy nor silly are appropriate. I wouldn't want someone to tell me I looked silly or goofy, so why wouldn't I think about that before saying it to Lili?
Wow...all I can say is wow... I SO wish I could take back the entire conversation and start over, but that is obviously not going to happen. Instead, I emailed the center Assistant Director and Director and asked them to assist with some damage control to my daughter's self-esteem. I asked them to give Lili some extra compliments on her dress if they see her today, to hopefully show her that her Mommy just sucks and is WRONG. I can accept this as long as Lili knows that she's beautiful. Despite telling her that again before I left to go to work, I definitely need her to hear it from others today as well!
Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to try harder NOT to cause irreparable emotional damage to my children...
Royal Mickey & Minnie Birthday Party
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment